Posted on: 19 September 2011
As editors, we are well aware of the importance of correct spelling, but here's a bit of extra evidence on the matter.
Late evening on Thursday 15 September, chemicals stored at the premises of Energy Services Invironmental [sic] in Mitchell, a Canberra industrial suburb, caught fire and began exploding, sending thick, potentially toxic smoke into the air. In the wee small hours of Friday morning, the emergency services agency therefore sent an SMS alert to people living in surrounding suburbs, warning them to stay indoors. Because of the atrocious spelling errors in the message (see image attached), it was, apparently, treated as a hoax by many recipients.